Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Food, by popular demand

So far, the food in Kenya has been great. I haven't eaten anything I didn't like. In fact, the worst meal I've had here was our first day in Nairobi, when the program directors took us to a hamburger restaurant so we would feel like we were eating like we do at home. I'll give you an overveiw of traditional dishes that I'm eating every day.
Breakfast: is not a very key meal here. Usually a piece of bread with margarine or jam, a hard boiled egg or two, plaintains, or fried dough that resembles a doughnut.
Lunch and dinner are similar in terms of what sort of food we eat.
Meat: Most meals consist fo a stew of beef or goat and potatoes served over rice. Beef and goat ar by far the most common meats here in Nairobi, but on the coast and near Lake Victoria, a lot of fish is eaten. Sometimes we eat chicken fried in palm oil. Frying in palm oil is a very common way of preparing food here.
Ugali: is a staple, especially for people of the Luo tribe. It's hard to describe what ugali is, so instead I'll describe how it's made. Imagine a large pot of boiling water. Then dump in half a kilo of corn starch, stir, and let it cook a little bit. Add a little palm oil, and another half a kilo of corn starch. Boil and let it sit until the consistency is somewhere between cream of wheat that's been left out and corn bread. Ugali is eaten at most meals and is usually served with steamed spinach or other vegetables, beef, goat, or fish.
Chapati: is my new favorite thing in the world. It's similar to a tortilla, but thicker and tastier. The dough is pretty basic, and it's fried in... palm oil. Chapati could be served with any of the meat stews or eaten along for a snack.
Stewed cabbage is also extremely common, similar to cole slaw in the U.S. Even at restaurants, cabbage is almost always served as a side dish.
We eat rice with almost every meal, as well as some sort of root like potatoes or duma, which is another root vegetable that's very starchy. Basically we eat a lot of starch, probably because it's the best way to get a lot of calories to people when food is scarce, which it is now. Kenya actually has poor food security relative to much of East Africa due to the current drought situation and the fact that during colonization, Kenya produced only cash crops: tea and coffee. Most agricultural land is still used for tea and coffee plantations, making food crops hard to come by.

4 comments:

  1. Wow that's really cool! I still don't think I could survive there because I wouldn't eat anything but that Chapati sounds pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really good-Ii can't wait for you to cook for me. Are you craving a cheesecake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm that meat sounds good... could you bring something back? If not a live goat, then maybe just some slices?

    I'm still working on that response. And by working on it, I mean I'll send you a message tomorrow or Sunday. Can I email you though using that email address you gave me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy yummy, please make some when you return because I love all things in the carb family.

    ReplyDelete